Tuesday, January 29, 2013

sweet OR scones for breakfast

My daughters have been sick the past few days.  As hard as it is on the girls, it's hard on me too.  I hate seeing my kiddos sick and miserable.  When I was younger, I remember my mom making us popcorn for a treat when we were sick.  (Also when we weren't sick.  Really, popcorn was just an all around wonderful snack...but that's another post.)  Mom would read to us, let us eat on the couch and drink Sprite from a straw.  Even though we didn't like being sick, it was pretty nice to be treated to something special by a caring mom.

My sick girls requested cinnamon scones for their "sick treat".  I was happy to oblige, since these are one of my favorites, too.  There is something about that sweet, spicy smell wafting from the oven that makes you feel better.  Along with some hot chamomile tea, they will fix whatever is ailing you.  Another bonus to these scones- they freeze beautifully.  I've taken to making a double batch, freezing them, then bagging them.  When we are in the mood for a warm breakfast, I take out a few and pop them in the oven to bake while I mix up some yogurt and fruit to go along side. 


CINNAMON SCONES
original recipe from Good Cheap Eats, I've adapted it a bit

5 cups flour- can be a combination of white and whole wheat
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1-3 Tablespoons of cinnamon- depending on how spicy you like it!
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup butter, cut into cubes
1 1/2 cup half and half- I use milk if that's what I've got on hand

In large bowl combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Cut in butter until coarse crumbs form. Add half and half.   Fold gently until combined. Turn out onto floured surface and knead gently until dough comes together. Pat or roll to 1 inch thickness. Cut into squares. Bake for 15 minutes at 375° or flash freeze and store in the freezer.  If baking from frozen, increase baking time 5 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment