Tuesday, December 10, 2013

a tasty experiment OR pumpkin waffles

I was in the mood for waffles.

I like to make a double batch and freeze some to pop in the toaster in the morning.  My very own, delicious Eggos, if you will.  But, I was in the mood for something different...pumpkin.  In October, there seems to be an influx of pumpkin recipes everywhere.  But pumpkin is good anytime.  I love the earthy flavor and creamy texture, especially in baked goods. 

So I thought I would just make my regular waffle recipe and add pumpkin.  Moral of the story:  that doesn't work.  After doctoring the batter for a half hour, I finally tossed the whole yucky mess and started fresh.  A little searching and some more experimenting- this recipe rose to the top.
This batter is simple and comes together in a flash.  The finished crispy waffles are wonderful with a drizzle of maple or vanilla syrup.  My girls like them best sprinkled with mini chocolate chips.

 (While the waffles are cooking, don't forget to make that vanilla syrup!  I'll post the recipe soon!)

To freeze, let the waffles cool completely.  Stack waffles with a piece of waxed paper in between each one.  Place in a freezer zip-top bag.  To heat, just pop in your toaster until golden and warmed through.


Pumpkin Waffles

Combine dry:
2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tb baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt

Combine wet:
2 eggs
1 1/2 cup milk
4 Tb melted butter
1/2 cup canned pumpkin

Add wet to dry mixture and combine.  Pour onto a hot waffle iron and bake until crispy and golden.

1 comment:

  1. DELISH! We need to do a lot of cooking when I come home.

    ReplyDelete