Wednesday, December 11, 2013

sweet stuff OR Vanilla Buttermilk Syrup

I used to love the store-bought, butter flavored syrup.  I'd load up my short stack and scoff as my dad would pour on just a few tablespoons of pure maple syrup onto his pancakes. 

As I've had less and less sugar in my diet, I've found that the commercial syrup is just simply too sweet.  Plus, it seems to have this chemical-ish aftertaste that I just don't enjoy.  Suddenly, I've developed a taste for that real maple flavor.  Don't get me wrong, maple syrup is still sweet.  But this seems to be a real sweetness.  When you use the good stuff, you don't need as much to pack the same flavor punch. 

Another favorite, and breakfast standby at our house, is Vanilla Buttermilk Syrup.  It comes together while you are flipping pancakes or baking waffles and tastes oh, so much better than that store-bought stuff. No, it's not low-fat, or even low sugar- but with the tangy buttermilk and sweet vanilla flavor- you don't need much to make your waffles taste like heaven!

Vanilla Buttermilk Syrup

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cube butter
1/2 tsp soda
1 tsp vanilla

Mix sugar, buttermilk, butter and soda in saucepan; boil for 1 minute.  Take off the heat and add vanilla.  Stir to combine.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment